Monday, January 12, 2009

My Quirks (Part 1)...

So last night I was sitting down to watch the much anticipated season premiere of '24' when I realized something that annoys me to no end. When a television show goes to commercial the volume increases, I would say about 10% at the very least.

So if I have my Television volume set at 20 while watching explosions galore and Jack Bauer jumping on people and snapping necks it will suddenly jump to a volume of about what 30 or more on my television would sound like during the commercials.

I don't know about you, but I can't stand hearing commercials about a pill that has more side effects than if you got the plague. Why does it have to be so damn loud?

I think this is a conspiracy. A few years ago when Tivo first came out Ad agencies sat down and said,

"How can we piss off people even more with our commercials?"

Okay, maybe they didn't say that, but it was probably,

"Now that more people are fast-forwarding through commercials, how can we make sure the ones that aren't can hear them?"

"Well, we could increase the volume of our commercials in post-editing by say 5% so if people get up to go to the bathroom or get a drink they can still hear them. Because we all know they really don't want to miss them."

"Let's make it 10% and call it good."


Seriously...It annoys me to no end to have to keep hitting the volume so that when my show comes back on I have to turn it back up so I can hear the dialogue.

Definitely a conspiracy...

1 comment:

jtrain said...

I actually made the same comment to Hayley last night. I couldn't figure out why 24 was so quiet. Every other channel was the normal volume but 24 was really quiet and had to keep turning it up.