Thursday, July 10, 2008

Superman or Batman: Who is Superior?

WARNING: This is an opinion and may not agree with plenty of you out there. It is only an opinion and I mean no disrespect to anyone who thinks differently. (I do not claim to be an 'expert' on the subject either so don't bash me for not being one)

Although my childhood bias had always led me to believe Superman is better than Batman in every way, I will admit that over the years that opinion has changed. I will state right now that I will probably always be a Superman fan first. That's just the way it is, but as I've learned more about the Batman mythos I will admit he comes in a very close second with Superman just tipping the scale in his favor.

Again this is an opinion in regards to the two characters as heroes and not which comic is better or which movies are better. Those are completely different subjects in my mind. I base my opinion on the two heroes lives as a whole.

Here is a bulleted point by point of why I believe Superman is superior to Batman:

1. Superman has "super" in it...SUPERior...Get it? Okay that was a cheap one, but I'm trying to keep this lighthearted.

2. Batman's has to deal with his parent's death...
Superman has to deal with Krypton's death and being the last of his kind... (+1)

3. Batman has to keep an eye on all of Gotham...
Superman has to keep an eye on the World... (+1)

4. Batman has 3 identities: Batman, Fake Bruce Wayne (The bachelor) and Real Bruce Wayne (which was excellently portrayed in Batman Begins by the way)
Superman also has 3 identities: Superman, Clark Kent (his secret identity) and Kal-El/Kansas Clark Kent (never fully developed in my mind unfortunately) (-1)

5. Batman has no super powers, but uses his skills and weapons as a means to fight justice...
Superman has many super powers, but has to keep them in control (just imagine being able to hear the world and having to block it out) (+1)

6. Batman could probably kill Superman if he had to...
Superman could probably kill everyone if he wasn't a such a boyscout all the time...(-1)

7. If Batman isn't killed he will be able to die peacefully. Well maybe not peacefully, but he will die eventually...
Superman will watch as anyone he has ever cared for will die off around him, once again leaving him alone in the world... (+1)

8. Batman knows when to bend the rules for the greater good...
Superman is always about Truth, Justice and the American Way...(-1)

9: If Batman had to I BELIEVE he would take over Gotham if it called for it...
If Superman had to I BELIEVE he would not take over the world (he is not there to control mankind)...(+1)

So I believe that leaves us with Superman up by 2. You have to give me credit. I respect Batman just as much as Superman, but this is just what I believe. I did not research this, but wrote it from the top of my head.

If you want to debunk my opinions I encourage you to do so. I will try and expand on these views if called for, but I didn't want this to be too long. It's just something I was and always think about so I thought it was random enough to post.

No comments: