Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Thought This Was a Good Read...

This was pretty long, but an enjoyable read. You can read the whole thing here if you like. I am posting just the very end of the article that really struck me as well written and worthy of my thoughts about Republican Senator Chuck Hagel...

--------------------------------------
“There was a political party in this country called the Know-Nothings,” he continued. “And we’re getting on the fringe of that, with these one-issue voters—pro-choice or pro-life. Important issue, I know that. But, my goodness. The world is blowing up everywhere, and I just don’t think that is a responsible way to see the world, on that one issue. And, interestingly enough, that is one issue that stopped John McCain from picking one of the people he really wanted, Joe Lieberman or Tom Ridge”—the Independent senator from Connecticut and the Republican former governor of Pennsylvania. (Both men are pro-choice.)
------------------------------------------

I think the thing I agree with most in this whole article is just the quote about the 'one issue vote' that many conservatives go by. There are a lot of issues in the world and I just don't understand how one's Religious belief on "Pro-Choice" or "Pro-Life" can dictate how they vote.

I understand it's an important issue. But when it comes down to the economy, education, foreign policy, etc. how really important is it if the government decides what is right or wrong on something that will never effect you as a person. (If you are Pro-Life then you obviously aren't going to say, 'Well, I'm pro-choice now that the government says I can be!')

If you don't believe in abortions or don't believe in gay marriage that is fine. That is your moral religious belief and I have no problem with that. I wouldn't think any less of you. But, to put these two issues at the top of your 'reasoning' for voting the way you do, that makes no sense to me.

Just remember that we live in America and it's a place with religious 'freedom' meaning the government should not have the right to decide these issues. I thought I remember reading in History class that this country was built on a seperation of Church and State? Forcing these issues and using them as your 'points' of voting does not sound like Religious Freedom to me.

I'm not really very religious, I'll admit that. Answer me this though; would I not go to Heaven if the teenager down the street decides to get an abortion or if my friends who are gay decide to get married? Am I just confused because that's the way I understand it when people tell me they could never vote for a pro-coice and pro-gay marriage president...(I also thought Lieberman or Ridge would have been a great choice for McCain's VP)

I guess I just don't get it and all I can plead with anyone out there is to look at ALL of the issues. Take this quiz and tell me honestly out of all the questions who you are closer to on the grid...

Whoops, I talked about politics AND religious today. Only a week left! :)

No comments: